Lynx, Destroyer of Worlds (with Science!) (lynxreign) wrote,
Lynx, Destroyer of Worlds (with Science!)
lynxreign

  • Mood:
  • Music:

Religion in America.

Religious people, especially religious conservatives, like to pretend that America is a deeply religious nation. Polls show that many people consider themselves religious. According to the last census, 80% of America is religious with the other 20% being athiest or agnostic. Part of that 80% is "pagan" of various types, of course.

What I found interesting was a story on NPR yesterday that discussed Army Chaplains. 80% of the people in the military blong to a church compared to only 50% of the general population. 50%! And a large portion of that 50% doesn't go every week or only goes on special occasions. America being a religious country is a myth. Perhaps we are a fairly spiritual country, but as I see it we're a highly secular society that gives lip service to religion because of a very loud minority.

As time goes on, this nation, and the world, are becoming more and more as I want them to be despite the best efforts of the reactionary people screaming that things were better in the caves.
Subscribe

  • Exercise

    Neat exercycle When I'm on the elliptical at the gym I frequently end up watching ESPN and they show the commercial for that exercise bike quite…

  • Singing

    I like to think of myself as a good singer. I know there are other people who enjoy my voice, but I wonder. Am I a good singer or just a really good…

  • Osama bin Laden

    Last night's Presidential speech was a little political grandstanding and that's about it. Obama wanted to tweak Republican noses for doing something…

  • Post a new comment

    Error

    default userpic

    Your IP address will be recorded 

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.
  • 11 comments

  • Exercise

    Neat exercycle When I'm on the elliptical at the gym I frequently end up watching ESPN and they show the commercial for that exercise bike quite…

  • Singing

    I like to think of myself as a good singer. I know there are other people who enjoy my voice, but I wonder. Am I a good singer or just a really good…

  • Osama bin Laden

    Last night's Presidential speech was a little political grandstanding and that's about it. Obama wanted to tweak Republican noses for doing something…