1) Siouxsie & the Banshees around 1980. Is this the reason my arbitrary date is so early? Maybe. I never saw them, but the early stuff is my favorite. Their shows were supposed to be amazing.
2) The Talking Heads before 1986. I never did see them, though I've seen spinoff groups. Again, their early stuff is my favorite.
3) They Might be Giants any time before 1989. I've seen them a TON since then. I've probably seen more shows by them than by any other band, but I'd like to have seen one of their first shows.
4) The Soft Boys around 1980. They broke up in 1980, but they're one of my favorites. Sure, I've seen Robyn Hitchcock frequently, but it isn't the same. Heck, you could append any early Robyn Hitchcock show to this one too. Anything before say 1986.
5) Vagiant... wait, I'm seeing them Friday. Never mind.
5) Mudhoney around 1992. Piece of Cake is a great album.
Sure, there are lots of acts that vie for that last position and I may revisit this at some point, but that's where they stand today.
Should I have only listed bands I'd never seen? Early TMBG and the Soft Boys are very different from what I actually ended up seeing. Maybe the idea would be better with never seen bands only, though.
Anyway, what bands are on your list?